Sometimes people say such stupid shit.
We are having houseguests for the week. We have no kitchen, and stuff that was in the kitchen is everywhere. Being the good hostess, I have cleared drawer space in the guest room by unloading those drawers into suitcases that are stashed in closets.
That’s the name of the paint color for the kitchen. Who names this stuff, the person who couldn’t cut it naming nail polish?
Ruth is the absolute best neighbor. She offered her garage as a warehouse for our stuff during the kitchen remodel. When we pointed out that we had a perfectly good garage to put stuff in, she said, “But I never park my car in the garage, and you guys don’t have a driveway. You can’t park your nice cars on the street.” So, her garage is now a warehouse, full of old appliances, the contractor’s drywall, saws and tools. She also gave me a key to her house, with instructions to feel free to come over and cook in her kitchen if I needed to. Last Friday, Lou and I were in her kitchen making dinner for her when she came home from work - Sea Bass Veracruz with couscous and a salad. She thought that was very nice of us. Good neighbors are the reason we chose to remodel rather than move.
It’s been a week.
- In Canada again. They apparently have quite the notes on my file, because I was in immigration (again) for half an hour. At the end of reading through everything on my file, he asked, “Are you here for the same thing this time? Only 4 days?” Yes. And yes. ”OK, go ahead.”
- Drivers in Montreal are the worst. It explains why my friend was repeatedly flipped off in Toronto. He was driving a rental car with Quebec plates.
- Why, in the rest of Canada, are the signs in both English and French, but in Quebec, they are ONLY in French?
- My French-door double oven probably isn’t going to happen. The contractor actually read through the installation instructions (what?) and pointed out that we lack the clearance for the doors. Poop. Regular old Viking double oven for me. Feel sorry for me, people!
- United sent me a text at 1 am that they cancelled my flight home today (Thursday). And rebooked me. FOR SUNDAY. Oh, hell, NO! I got on the phone with the travel agent who booked my travel, and am leaving on Air Canada at the EXACT same time. 30 minutes later, I got an email from United that they had rebooked me on Air Canada. I see what you did there, and United, you are full of shit.
- I had an email from an old friend that her brother died. He was my first boyfriend in high school, and was a great friend to me in a very awkward stage in my life. I was always the smart girl, and he made me feel like the beautiful smart girl. I was always grateful for the confidence he gave me.
- The hotel this week was overrun with preteen girls and their mothers in Montreal for the North American Irish Dancing Championships. I did not know that many rhinestones existed. And really, girls, eat something. I heard one mother make a comment to her daughter that she was really “pigging out.” The girl responded that she was done with her competition and would “be good” next week. It made me a little sad.
- I’m working on the statement of work for my next project, trying to keep it to 20-25 hours per week. People keep adding things, and I keep saying no. I really want to wrap things up by the time Baby S arrives.
- At the airport, waiting to go home for a 4-day weekend. Long posts like this are the result of too much time at the airport. Have a happy and safe 4th, everyone!
- The contractor called to tell me I have expensive taste. Shocking. The granite we selected is twice as much as he estimated in the contract. We are picking different granite. I liked it, but not twice as much as a couple of others. We’ll be selecting one of these - probably the darker.
- I have to leave for Canada on Monday, which means I will not be here for the framing of the walls this week. I think I will be OK without all the hammering.
- I made a strawberry pie from the berries at the Green City Market - so good!
- Saturday morning date at the GMC with Em, looking adorably pregnant!
- Went tile shopping, thought I liked this one, now not so sure. Going back for alternatives.