A champagne-colored sedan is always driven by an old person.
- We are escaping the cold! Our friends have a place in San Diego, and have invited us for a long weekend. We’re going.
- I can’t watch the SOTU speech tonight. I tried, but I kept fixating on how “tan” John Boehner is. It’s creepy.
- Worked from bed the last two days, nestled under a down comforter. I got quite a bit done, but finally decided this afternoon that I needed to dress in something other than flannel pants.
- Speaking of work, it has become much more than the part-time gig I had anticipated. So much so, that this afternoon, I withdrew from the tutoring program. I feel bad because I love the kids, and think the program is really worthwhile, but I am not able to control the travel and meeting requirements of this consulting project enough to allow me to continue tutoring with any regularity. I suck, but I would rather do one thing well than two things half-assed. The kids deserve better.
During a meeting with Republican National Committee members today, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee made some really stupid comments about women.
When are stupid men going to get it through their thick, unibrowed, Neanderthal skulls that they do not understand ONE FUCKING THING about women and they should just SHUT THE FUCK UP because it just makes them sound dumber? How would they react if women started telling men how it feels to get nailed in the balls by a sledgehammer? We don’t know, we will never know, so we don’t feel qualified to comment. Learn from us.
- I am sick of Facebook. It has become a refuge of everyone with an ax to grind about something. I used to love to see pictures of people’s kids, catch up with cousins, take vicarious vacations, but lately it’s been all homeless dogs, I love my daughter/son/cousin/grandchild, right wing screeching, left wing screeching, more reposts than posts. I’m even thinking about blocking my husband. Although I will probably keep my crazy cousin Alice because she has no filter and is at least posting original, if somewhat bizarre, thoughts.
- I didn’t realize that I booked our return flight from the long weekend in San Diego on Super Bowl Sunday. Oops. But, it’s the red-eye and I upgraded us to first class, so he shouldn’t be too mad, right?
- My nephew B is the architect for our kitchen remodel. I asked him today what I should budget for his services, and he said, “2 bottles of wine.” We’re going to send him a case of wines that we enjoy. He’s a professional; he should get paid like one. My brother said I shouldn’t send him a case, that it will make B uncomfortable. Thoughts?
…is apparently reading emails. At least I deleted 35 of them without even bothering. I suppose that makes it part-time.
We are going to remodel the kitchen! And by “remodel”, I mean just this side of lighting it on fire. I have hated the kitchen since we bought this house, but there has been so much other stuff: educating children, replacing all the windows, doors, copper gutters and downspouts, tuckpointing, rebuilding the chimney, replacing the deck, re-siding the garage. But now, my ugly-ass kitchen has made it to the top of the list!
Chicago Tumblrs, any recommendations for kitchen designers, advice, etc?