I decided the Buche de Noel was overkill for Christmas Eve dessert, so I’m bring a selection of Christmas cookies, and Lou made 2 kinds of ice cream: Chocolate chip peppermint and egg nog. He makes the best ice cream ( can’t cook a lick otherwise). Smiling.
- I have finally started literacy tutoring in a Chicago Public School. I have first graders, who I thought would be adorable. Turns out, some of them are mini teenagers with full-grown attitudes. I finally met the one who had been suspended when I started. And I totally understand why a first-grader got suspended. But the adorable ones will keep me coming back.
- Another project has materialized, so as my first consulting gig winds down, I have another. Still not full-time, but this is what we in project management call scope creep.
- Met with our investment team at the bank to review our retirement income. We will not have to eat cat food in the foreseeable future.
- We had lunch today at Ditka’s as guests of our bank. The featured speakers were Jeff Joniak and Kyle Long. Lou asked Kyle if he had thawed out yet from last night’s game. Kyle’s response: “I can finally feel my feet.” He is a pretty articulate and interesting guy.
- After lunch, we stopped at Eataly. It was nice, but the wines are very overpriced. Palazzo della Torre for $20.80 (Binny’s $13.99). Loved the salumi and cheeses and the huge selection of olive oils. Would have been great to be able to taste some.
- Snow is coming, think I’ll climb into bed and stay there. Drive safely!
We have so much for which we are grateful this year. I am looking forward to the family gathering here, everyone dressed in their best eating pants.
Somewhere in November’s Bon Appetit, they suggest duck fat as a secret weapon for Thanksgiving. Guess what I have in the fridge? I am putting duck fat in EVERYTHING. Well, maybe not the cranberries…
For the second time, in a week, a Canon peripheral has bitten the dust. The printer simply needs a new print head. I called their parts desk, and quelle surprise! that model is no longer supported. IT’S NOT THAT OLD!!!
So, I now have two perfectly good Canon doorstops.
I upgraded the operating software on our Macs to the new OS X Mavericks (who names this stuff?). Went to scan a document, and the Canon scanner doesn’t work anymore. Bounce between Apple and Canon for two days, finally discover that Canon has not given Apple new drivers for the scanner and doesn’t intend to provide them. It is an older model, you see (not that old) and they will no longer support the older models in new operating systems, and gee, we’re sorry, but we will offer you a loyalty discount on a new Canon scanner. Wait…what? You want MY loyalty, but you are not willing to show yours by supporting a scanner that is perfectly good???
I haven’t seen what they are offering in terms of a discount, but my guess is I can get the same deal from Amazon. It makes me a little ragey.
Anyone have a recommendation for a scanner other than Canon? Anyone want a perfectly good Canon 8400F scanner?